2011年1月26日星期三

For a sports game to be truly worthy


I'm not much of a sports gamer, but I can appreciate the excellence of NBA 2K11. The gameplay is slick and addictive. The atmosphere is second-to-none. The presentation rivals broadcast television. Hell, I spent a half hour building my custom baller for the game's My Player career mode. Packed with modes and special features, it's a replica IWC 5022-18 Men's Watch ridiculously deep sports game.In the end, however, I have to agree with Luke. The game's surprising depth makes it far too easy for a basketball novice like myself to get lost in a sea of game terminology that I just don't understand.
For a sports game to be truly worthy of Game of the Year, it needs to cater to all gamers - not just those already familiar with the subject matter.Stephen Totilo's ReplyI occasionally agitate for a Best Controls awards category to become standard across all gaming awards galas, because good controls are more valuable than good graphics, replica IWC 3758-11 Men's Watch good sound effects or good just about anything else. So I'm praising NBA 2K11's controls as among 2010's best. They feel good.I'm also praising 2K11 as one of the year's best role-playing games, partially because I refuse to consider the “role-playing game” classification the way tradition has defined it. No, I will stubbornly adhere to the way the English language defines it.
NBA 2K11, in letting me play as Michael Jordan across a series of historically accurate games of elite basketball, enables me to believably inhabit the sneakers of a a real man whose physical accomplishments were damn near super-human. It's more fun to Be Mike than to Be Like Mike.
But given basketball games' trajectory toward matching the replica IWC 3758-03 Men's Watch realism of basketball or a basketball broadcast, I can't consider even as polished a basketball video game as this as anything more than an incomplete advance toward a distant goal. I can't help but hold the example of what it aspires to be but is not against it, killing its chance of getting my GOTY vote.Brian Crecente's ReplyThat's funny, I see this as a role-playing game too. That was the biggest draw for me this time around.